Wednesday 15 July 2009

Metric Imperialisation

Now I know a lot of people in this country are against metrication and I am quite happy dealing in pints, miles and stones. What really annoys me is that everything is so mixed up at the moment.This happened to me recently when completing an order form for a new uniform at my work place.I ticked a box for my shirt size 15 1/2", Fleece 42" chest then trousers,please state your waist size in cm,AAARRGH!!!
This is something that happens all the time. Why are television screens still measured in inches. You can buy 2 metres of 3 1/2 plywood.I just wish that we either scrap metrication altogether or go 100% metric. Australia and Canada managed it so why can't we! In the meantime I will continue to drive my car which has an average fuel consumption of 5.6 miles per litre!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Andy,

    Here is a challenge for you. See if you can go for a day without using the metric system at all. Here's an article, called 'Don't use metric' to get you started: http://www.metricationmatters.com/docs/DontUseMetric.pdf

    Cheers,
    Pat Naughtin
    Geelong, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. You say you're quite happy with pints miles and stones, but you don't want everything mixed up. Well there is only one way out of the mess - get rid of the pints, miles and stones and use litres, metres and kilograms. These units are from different systems and you're never going to make life easy if you keep using both systems. Stones you don't find anywhere else in the world; pints are UK only (the US one is different); miles are USA and UK only. The rest of the world is metric only. So we can't undo metrication unless we close our borders to trade and travel. The only way forward is complete the job that our leaders started in 1964 and go fully metric. (see ukma.org.uk)

    ReplyDelete